ACPE Numbers: Pending for technicians
Release Date: April 5, 2023 – available to preorder
Expiration Date: April 5, 2026
Activity Type: Application-based
CE Credit Hour(s): Pending
Activity Fee: $445 (ASHP Member); $545 (Non-member)
Obtaining comprehensive and accurate medication histories is of critical importance to protecting patients from medication errors. The Medication History-Taking Certificate is designed to equip pharmacy technicians for the important role as medication history-takers, and to prepare them for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board® (PTCB) Medication History Certificate exam.
The online curriculum includes the following topics:
- The impact of incomplete and inaccurate medication histories on patient safety
- A review of the most commonly prescribed medications and immunizations, and the diseases they treat/prevent
- Sources of information for medication histories
- Interviewing patients to gather “best possible” medication histories
- Recommendations for avoiding common errors and omissions when obtaining medication histories
- Medication adherence assessment and improvement strategies
- Legal considerations related to medication history-taking
- Customizing and implementing a medication history-taking service
Professional Certificate Requirement
Once a learner has completed the educational curriculum, they will have the opportunity to complete an online comprehensive exam. Once the learner completes the exam (minimum 80% passing rate; unlimited attempts permitted), they will earn the professional certificate.
This online activity consists of a combined total of 7 learning modules. Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians are eligible to receive a total of 20.5 hours of continuing education credit by completing all 7 modules within this certificate.
Participants must participate in the entire activity and complete the evaluation and all required components to claim continuing pharmacy education credit online at ASHP Learning Center. Follow the prompts to claim credit and view your statement of credit within 60 days of completing the activity.
Important Note – ACPE 60 Day Deadline:
Per ACPE requirements, CPE credit must be claimed within 60 days of being earned. To verify that you have completed the required steps and to ensure your credits have been reported to CPE Monitor, check your NABP eProfile account to validate that your credits were transferred successfully before the ACPE 60-day deadline. After the 60-day deadline, ASHP will no longer be able to award credit for this activity.