ACPE Number: 0204-0000-20-340-H06-P
Content Release Date: 12/16/2020
Expiration Date: 12/04/2023
Activity Type: Application-based
CE Credits: 1.25 hours
Activity Fee: Free
Accreditation for Pharmacists
The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
This activity is a recording from a 2020 Midyear presentation and those that claim credit during the 2020 Midyear Meeting should not claim credit for this activity.
This activity was planned to meet the educational needs of pharmacists.
Join us for this timely webinar featuring Dr. Litjen (L.J.) Tan, Chief Strategy Officer for the Immunization Action Coalition and Dr. Mary Hayney, Professor of Pharmacy at the University of Wisconsin, School of Pharmacy. Drs. Tan and Hayney will share insights into the clinical trial and development process of the COVID-19 vaccines. The discussion will include the clinical trial designs and requirements to insure safety and efficacy, as well as the basis behind vaccination strategies of these agents as they become available through the Emergency Use Authorization process.
After participating in this CPE activity, learners should be able to:
- Describe clinical trial designs for COVID-19 vaccine candidates.
- Identify important documentation requirements and safety surveillance measures and actions.
- Outline opportunities to address vaccine hesitancy.
- Calculate the number needed to vaccinate to stop widespread community transmission of SARS CoV-2.
- Discuss clinical implications related to COVID-19 vaccine(s) made available through Emergency Use Authorization
- Litjen (L.J.) Tan, Ph.D., M.S. – Chief Strategy Officer, Immunization Action Coalition
- Mary S. Hayney, Pharm.D., M.P.H. – Professor of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy
- Anna Legreid Dopp, Pharm.D., Senior Director, Clinical Guidelines and Quality Improvement, center on Medication Safety and Quality, ASHP
- Carla J. Brink, B.S.Pharm., M.S., CHCP – Director, Scientific Projects, OPD - Project Management, ASHP
- Eric M. Maroyka, Pharm.D., BCPS – Senior Director, Center on Pharmacy Practice Advancement, ASHP
In accordance with the ACPE's and ACCME's Standards for Commercial Support, anyone in a position to control the content of the educational activity is required to disclose to the accredited provider their relevant financial relationships. In accordance with these Standards, all potential conflicts of interest have been resolved. An individual has a relevant financial relationship if he or she (or spouse/domestic partner) has a financial relationship in any amount occurring in the last 12 months with a commercial interest whose products or services are discussed in the activity content over which the individual has control.
As defined by ACCME, a commercial interest is any entity producing, marketing, re-selling, or distributing health care goods or services consumed by, or used on, patients. The Standards for Commercial Support do not consider providers of clinical service directly to patients to be commercial interests. The existence or non-existence of relevant financial relationships will be disclosed to the activity audience. All identified conflicts of interest must be resolved prior to the activity.
- All planners, presenters, reviewers, and ASHP staff report no financial relationships relevant to this activity.
Methods and CE Requirements
This activity consists of recordings of faculty slides presentations, active learning activities, discussion, and handouts. Participants must participate in the activity in its entirety to claim continuing pharmacy education credit online at ASHP eLearning Portal. Follow the prompts online to complete the evaluation, claim credit and view the statement of credit immediately after completing the activity.
Per ACPE requirements, CPE credit must be claimed within 60 days of being earned. Claim your CE at http://elearning.ashp.org. Once you have processed and claimed your CE credit, we encourage you to check your NABP eProfile account to verify your credits were transferred successfully before the ACPE 60-day deadline. It is an electronic direct-report process so your credits should appear in your account within a few minutes. After the 60 day deadline, ASHP will no longer be able to report your credit(s) for this activity.
System Technical Requirements
Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. Users should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating web sites.
View the minimum technical and system requirements for learning activities.