Planned in cooperation with the ASHP Section of Specialty Pharmacy Practitioners
ACPE Activity Number: 0204-0000-19-009-H04-P / 0204-0000-19-009-H04-T
Release Date:April 24, 2019
Expiration Date: April 24, 2022
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
CE Credits: 1.0 hour, no partial credit
Activity Fee: Members – Free / Non-Member – Not Available
Accreditation for Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians
The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
This activity is a recording from a live webinar and those that claim credit for the live webinar should not claim credit for this activity
This continuing pharmacy education activity is designed for pharmacy staff interested in learning more about PBMs and the pharmacy benefit industry.
Pharmacy benefits managers (PBMs) directly impact, and in some cases, threaten the business of health system retail and specialty pharmacies. This activity is designed to inform health system pharmacy staff about how the pharmacy benefit industry works and explain the current PBM economic and profit model.
- Describe the pharmacy benefits purchasing process including the “influencers” and “decision makers”.
- Describe the history and evolution of the PBM industry and related organizations.
- Outline strategies for effective communication for pharmacy benefit decisions with health system employees and customers.
- Discuss PBM economics to facilitate contracting for price and terms.
Schedule of Educational Activities
- Discuss the PBM industry and how it impacts health system pharmacy.
- Share how pharmacy staff can influence decision business decisions related to PBMs.
- Carrie Morton, Pharm.D., M.B.A., Administrative Director, Lab, Pharmacy, and Radiology Services, Deaconess Health System, Evansville, IN
- Steve Zabriski, B.S.Pharm., M.B.A., Senior Director, Payer Strategies, Apexus, LLC / Acentrus Specialty, Irving, TX
In accordance with the ACPE's and ACCME's Standards for Commercial Support, anyone in a position to control the content of an educational activity is required to disclose to the accredited provider their relevant financial relationships. In accordance with these Standards, all potential conflicts of interest have been resolved. An individual has a relevant financial relationship if he or she (or spouse/domestic partner) has a financial relationship in any amount occurring in the last 12 months with a commercial interest whose products or services are discussed in the activity content over which the individual has control.
As defined by ACCME, a commercial interest is any entity producing, marketing, re-selling, or distributing health care goods or services consumed by, or used on, patients. The Standards for Commercial Support do not consider providers of clinical service directly to patients to be commercial interests. The existence or non-existence of relevant financial relationships will be disclosed to the activity audience. All identified conflicts of interest must be resolved prior to the activity.
- All planners, presenters, reviewers and ASHP staff report no financial relationships relevant to this activity.
Methods and CE Requirements
This activity consists of a recordings of faculty slides presentations, active learning activities, discussion, and handouts. Participants must participate in the activity in its entirety to claim continuing pharmacy education credit online at ASHP eLearning Portal. Follow the prompts online to complete the evaluation, claim credit and view the statement of credit immediately after completing the activity.
Per ACPE requirements, CPE credit must be claimed within 60 days of being earned. Claim your CE at http://elearning.ashp.org. Once you have processed and claimed your CE credit, we encourage you to check your NABP eProfile account to verify your credits were transferred successfully before the ACPE 60-day deadline. It is an electronic direct-report process so your credits should appear in your account within a few minutes. After the 60 day deadline, ASHP will no longer be able to report your credit(s) for this activity.
System Technical Requirements
Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. Users should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating web sites.
View the minimum technical and system requirements for learning activities.