Planned in cooperation with the ASHP Section of Pharmacy Practice Managers
ACPE Activity Number: 0204-0000-18-027-H04-P
Release Date: June 5, 2018
Expiration Date: June 5, 2021
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
CE Credits: 1.0 hour, no partial credit
Activity Fee: Members – Free / Non-Member – Not Available
Accreditation for Pharmacists
The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
This continuing pharmacy education activity is designed for pharmacy leaders responsible for analyzing their drug usage trends and developing their organization’s pharmacy budget.
The annual forecast of pharmaceutical expenditures in hospitals and clinics provides pharmacy managers with detailed information on trends in prescription expenditures, new drug approvals, patent expirations, and other factors that may impact drug spending in the future. The methods and main findings of the 2018 forecast will be reviewed, including the trends observed in 2017, the projected growth in expenditures in 2018, and factors driving that growth. Suggestions for how to best use the forecast in an individual hospital or health-system will also be provided. Audience participation is encouraged and questions from the audience will be answered by the speakers.
- Identify the methods used in the 2018 forecast.
- Discuss the results with identification of the strengths and limitations of the data.
- Describe the historical trends in prescription expenditures.
- Discuss application of the forecast by pharmacy leaders in practice.
- Discuss reasons for anticipated growth in prescription expenditures in 2018 and beyond.
Schedule of Educational Activities
- Trends and methods for forecasting.
- Discussion on pharmacy growth.
- Peer-reviewed literature for forecasting.
- Glen T. Schumock, Pharm.D., M.B.A., Ph.D., Professor and Head, Department of Pharmacy Systems, Outcomes and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy, Chicago, IL
- Edward Li, Pharm.D., MPH, BCOP, Associate Professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice, University of New England College of Pharmacy, Portland, ME
- Michelle D. Wiest, Pharm.D., BCPS, FASHP, Vice President and Clinical Associate Professor, UC Health and University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
In accordance with the ACPE's and ACCME's Standards for Commercial Support, everyone in a position to control the content of an educational activity is required to disclose to the accredited provider their relevant financial relationships. An individual has a relevant financial relationship if he or she (or spouse/domestic partner) has a financial relationship in any amount occurring in the last 12 months with a commercial interest whose products or services are discussed in the activity content over which the individual has control.
A commercial interest is any entity producing, marketing, re-selling, or distributing health care goods or services consumed by, or used on, patients. The Standards for Commercial Support do not consider providers of clinical service directly to patients to be commercial interests. The existence or non-existence of relevant financial relationships will be disclosed to the activity audience. All identified conflicts of interest must be resolved prior to the activity.
- All faculty, planners, and staff report no relevant financial relationship for this activity.
Methods and CE Requirements
This activity consists of recorded faculty slides presentations, active learning activities, discussion, and handouts. Participants must participate in the entire activity and complete all the required components to claim continuing pharmacy education credit online at ASHP eLearning Portal. Follow the prompts online to complete the evaluation, claim credit and view the statement of credit immediately.
Per ACPE requirements, CPE credit must be claimed within 60 days of being earned. To be sure your CE is processed within 60 days of being earned; plan to process your CE immediately after completing the activity. Claim your CE at http://elearning.ashp.org. Once you have processed and claimed your CE credit, we encourage you to check your NABP eProfile account to verify your credits were transferred successfully. It is an electronic direct-report process so your credits should appear in your account within a few minutes. After the 60 day deadline, ASHP will no longer be able to report your credit(s) for this activity
System Technical Requirements
Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. Users should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating web sites.
View the minimum technical and system requirements for learning activities.